The Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY) or Ayushman Bharat that was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in September last year offers a cover of up to Rs 5 lakh per family a year for secondary and tertiary care.
The PMJAY cardholders can avail of these benefits without making any payment at public and empanelled hospitals.
In times of health crisis, the facility is a real clincher deal for the eligible beneficiaries who can then avail of these services anywhere in India. What’s more, pre-existing diseases are also covered under this scheme.
As per the official site of PMJAY, the following criteria decide if one is eligible for enrolment under this scheme.
In the rural areas, the PMJAY health cover is available to:
- Members of SC/ST households
- Families with no male member aged 16-59 years
- Beggars and those surviving on alms
- Families with no individuals aged between 16-59 years
- Families with a physically challenged member, no able-bodied adult member
- Landless households with members working as casual manual labourers
- Primitive tribal communities
- Legally released bonded labourers
- Families living in one-room makeshift houses with no proper walls or roof
- Manual scavenger families
In the urban areas, those who can avail of the government-sponsored scheme consist mainly of:
- Mechanics, electricians, repair workers
- Domestic help
- Sanitation workers, gardeners, sweepers
- Home-based artisans or handicraft workers, tailors
- Cobblers, hawkers and others providing services by working on streets or pavements
- Plumbers, masons, construction workers, porters, welders, painters and security guards
- Transport workers like drivers, conductors, helpers, cart or rickshaw pullers
- Assistants, peons in small establishments, delivery boys, shopkeepers and waiters
People not entitled for the Health Cover under Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana are those who:
- Own a two, three or four-wheeler or a motorised fishing boat
- Own mechanised farming equipment
- Hold Kisan cards with a credit limit of Rs.50,000
- Are in any form of government service
- Work in government-managed non-agricultural enterprises
- Earn a monthly income above Rs.10000
- Own refrigerators and landlines
- Living in strongly-built houses
- Own 5 acres or more of agricultural land
How to find your name in the Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY)?
There is no special Ayushman Bharat registration procedure pertaining to PMJAY as the scheme applies to all beneficiaries who are already the beneficiaries of the Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana (RSBY) scheme. However, here’s how you can check if you are eligible to be a beneficiary of PMJAY.
STEP 1 Visit https://www.pmjay.gov.in/ and click on ‘Am I Eligible’
STEP 2 Enter your mobile number and the CAPTCHA code and click on ‘Generate OTP’
STEP 3 Then select your state and search by name/ HHD number/ ration card number/ mobile number
STEP 4 Based on the search results you can verify if your family is covered under PMJAY